School Travel Plan- Gold
Modeshift STARS is the Centre of Excellence for the delivery of Effective Travel Plans in Education, Business and Community settings. The Modeshift STARS Education scheme recognises schools and other educational establishments that have shown excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable and active travel. The Modeshift STARS Education scheme inspires young children to travel to school sustainably, actively, responsibly and safely by championing walking, scooting and cycling. It also, supports pupils’ wellbeing, helps to reduce congestion, improve road safety and air quality the around the school.
The average journey to school is around half a mile, that’s around a 10-minute walk. However, lots of these journeys are made by car leading to congestion and an unsafe and polluted environment around the school. By changing your journeys from travelling from a car to a more active form of travel, together Modeshift schools can make a real difference to our the local area and the heath and wellbeing of the school community.
The Benefit of joining Modeshift Stars.
- Improve pupils’ emotional wellbeing and their health.
- Encourage healthier travel behaviours and habits such as walking, scooting and cycling to school.
- Makes the roads safer around the school.
- Reduce pollution near the school.
- Raise the profile of our school, help gain external recognition from the Modeshift awards.
- Encourage positive travel behaviour change in parents/carers and local residents
- Promotes positive relationships with the local community.
What are we doing in St John's?
- In December 2020 the school was awarded the Bronze Award. We felt very proud of this success as the school community has worked hard to gain this.
- At the start of 2023, St John’s achieved the Gold Accreditation for the School Travel Plan (STP)
We did this by having road safety weeks, walk to school weeks, lesson about road safety. The school council also made posters about safe parking. We managed to reduce the number of cars coming to school by just over 10%.
We are very proud that the school has got the Gold award.